A devastating situation has unfolded in Sabie, whereby approximately 150 illegal miners are reportedly trapped inside an abandoned mine. As of the latest reports, six miners have managed to escape, while three have tragically lost their lives.
According to Mpumalanga police spokesperson, Brigadier Donald Mdhluli, the crisis came to light on Tuesday afternoon 3 December, when security personnel encountered four men fleeing the mine. The men, suspected to be illegal miners, revealed that they, along with many others, were trapped inside the mine.
“ According to the rescued individuals, they had been forced to work and mine for gold by their captors under dangerous and dire conditions. In light of this incident, it is believed that the ones running this illegal operation could possibly be heavily armed,” said Brigadier Mdhluli.
He said the assertion that the suspected illegal miners are heavily armed is informed by the recent incident, also in Sabie, in which an altercation ensued on 28 November between suspected illegal miners and police officials, whereby a Warrant Officer from the K9 Unit was wounded while three suspects were fatally shot.
The Acting Provincial Police Commissioner in Mpumalanga, Major-General(Dr) Zeph Mkhwanazi, said law enforcement agencies are monitoring the situation as it unfolds and urged community members to allow the authorities to do their job.
Pic: Members of law enforcement agencies during the rescue operation
“ All relevant stakeholders, including Search and Rescue teams, are currently at the scene, and visibility in the area has been increased to ensure the safety of the community,” said Major-General Mkhwanazi.
Pic: Two suspected illegal miners rising from the mine
Brigadier Mdhluli added that two foreign nationals aged between 23 and 24, were successfully rescued from the mine, along with four South Africans.
“ Various units of the SAPS, the Emergency Medical Services(EMS), the Department of Health, the Department of Home Affairs, as well as two Private Security Companies are on board on this operation,” said Mdhluli.